Name: PROFESSOR DR. K. BYRAPPA
Highest Degree: Ph.D., from Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia, 1981
- Senior Professor, University of Mysore.
- Founder Coordinator: M.Tech., in Materials Science, Center for Materials Science and Technology.
- Chief Coordinator: University with Potential for Excellence Rs.60 Crores Inter-Departmental Program.
- Coordinator: Center with Potential for Excellence in a Particular Area Rs. 5 Crores Project.
- Founder Director: Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), University of Mysore.
- Former Chairman: Dept. of Earth Sciences, University of Mysore (from 4th January 2009 to 27th April 2011)
- Former Director: UGC-Academic Staff College, Univ. of Mysore (From January 2004 to September 2006)
Permanent Office Address
University of Mysore
Materials Science Center, Vijnana Bhavan,
Post Box No.21, Manasagangotri, Mysore – 570 006, INDIA.
Tel: +91 821 2419720; 2419422; TeleFax: +91 821 2419720; 2419422
“Vidwat” # 19, C- Block,
80 Feet Road, Vijayanagara 3rd Stage,
Mysore 570 017, India
Field of Specialization
- Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials, Materials Science, Bioceramics, Ceramic Coatings, Solid Electrolytes, Photonic Materials, Metal Oxides, Environmental Science and Engineering, Water Technology and Water Treatment, Carbon, Photocatalysts, Zeolites, Thermodynamic Modeling, Crystallography, Crystal Growth, Experimental Mineralogy. Known worldwide in Hydrothermal, Solvothermal and Supercritical Fluid Technology.
- Physics and Chemistry of Phosphates, Silicates, Vanadates, Tungstates, Zeolites,etc.
- Characterization of Natural and Synthetic Materials by Various Techniques like XRD, DTA/DSC/TGA, IR- Spectroscopy, Electron Microscopy – Scanning.
- Electron Microscopy, Field Emission Microscopy, Impedance Spectroscopy, Properties related to the surface chemistry of Materials etc.
- Took up Special Courses in Electron Microscopy, X-ray Spectroscopy and Image Processing, during 2000 – 2001 (TWO Full Term Semester Course) at Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA.
- Principal Investigator of several Research Projects sponsored by Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi; Dept. Atomic Energy; University Grant Commission; Council of Scientific Industrial Research; Defence Research Development Organization; and Major Industries like General Electric, USA; Johnson & Johnson Co. USA; Siemens, Germany; M.R. Jain Gem Company, India;, etc.
- Successfully Completed a Major Joint Research Project of US $ 1.2 Million as Co- Investigator on “Hydrothermal Carbon” with Prof.M. Yoshimura of Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, as Principal Investigator, funded by the Research Institute of Solvothermal Technology, Takamatsu, Japan. I have trained several of my Colleagues and Research Students in Japan, under this program. The work involved studies on various forms of carbon like carbon nanotubes, fullerenes, diamond synthesis, and activated carbon. Also worked on International Co-operation Research Project with Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan and Tokyo University of Science and Technology, Chiba, Japan. Currently operating Major Research Projects funded by the University Grants Commission, Dept. of Science and Technology, and Siemens, Germany.