Activities & Programs
Departmental Activities and Programs Organized so far (subject associations, periodic special programs / seminars / conferences / workshops / symposia, etc.)
Workshops/Special Lecture /Webinar
1. One day workshop on “Python for Data Science” was organized by Statistics Association on 12th October 2019. Resource Person: Mr. Vinaya Shastri, Technical Analyst, Aptiva, Bangalore.
2. One day workshop on “Latex Software” was organized by Statistics Association on 28th October 2019. Resource Person: Dr. Rajendra, Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, Mangalore University.
3. One day Statistics Webinar Series was organized on the occasion of World Statistics Day -2020on 20th October 2020.The Lecture series are
- Future of Statistics – General Remark by Prof. K. K Achar, Retd. Professor Statistics, Mangalore University
- Modelling of Covid 19 Population Dynamics by Prof. T.P.M Pakkala, Adjunct Professor, Mangalore University
- Quantile Regression by Mr. Anand K.S, Assistant Professor, St.Joseph’s College Bangalore
Special Lecture Series
1. A Special lecture on “Data Science” was organized by Statistics Association on 12th January 2020. Resource Person: Prof. Doreswamy, Professor of Computer Science, Mangalore University
2. A Special lecture on “Complete Statistics” was organized by Statistics Association on 11th February 2020. Resource Person: Prof. Aruna Rao, Retd. Professor of Statistics, Mangalore University
Special Lecture by Foreign Faculties
1. Prof. Adrian William Bowman, Professor of Statistics and HOD School of Mathematics, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, U.K. during 10th to 14th October 2016.
2. Prof. Nagaraj K Neerchal, Professor of Statistics, Department of Mathematics and Statistics University of Maryland, Baltimore country, USA visited the department on 12th January 2018 and delivered special lecture on “Statistical Modelling of Self-Reported and Proxy Observation in Longitudinal Studies”.
3. Prof. R.N. Rattihalli, (Rtd. Professor of Statistics, Shivaji University of Kolhapur, Professor, Department of Statistics, S.D.M. Ujire visited the department and delivered special lecture on “Contribution of Indian Statisticians to the field of Statistics”, 10th August 2017.
4. Prof. Augustyn Markiewics, Department of Mathematical and Statistical Methods, Poland University of Life Sciences, Poland. One day Special Lecture Series on Recent Developments in Modelling and its Applications. “Linear and quadric sufficiency in Linear Models” 05th December 2017.
Knowledge Sharing Forum
Totally 7 Knowledge sharing sessions for the M.sc Statistics Students were conducted by current Faculty members and Retd Professors. The session covers the coaching for following competitive exams
1. Coaching for UPSC/ KPSC: Statistical officer and Statistical investigator
2. Indian Statistical Service (ISS)
3. NSSO and CSO
4. NET and KSET
INTRA DEPARTMENT FEST
An intra department fest was conducted by statistics association with the objective of encouraging students to participate in in both extra and co-curricular activities. The following events were conducted
1. Essay writing 2. Collage 3. Data Analysis 4. Pencil Sketch 5. Quiz
6. Seminar 7. Multi -Tasking 8. Cooking without fire
AVISHKAR – 2019
An intercollegiate UG level fest ‘Avishkar-2019’ was held on 22nd January 2020. The function was presided by Prof. Doreswamy, President of Statistics Association, Prof. A.M Khan, Registrar of Mangalore University was the Chief Guest. Mr. Satyanarayana, Staff advisor of Statistics Association welcomed the gathering. Totally 98 students registered for the fest and 15 Faculty members accompanied the students from the affiliated colleges.
Competitions held on the following events
a. Essay b. Quiz c. Seminar d. project presentation e. Multitasking
f. Data Analysis g. Collage