Activities & Programs
Departmental activities and programs organized so far (subject associations, periodic special programs / seminars / conferences / workshops / symposia, etc.)
Activities during 2014-19
1. A 10 day Theatre Workshop was organized in August, 2015, for students of the Department, directed by Ms. AbantiChakraborty with a presentation of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
2. The Department organized a National Conference on “Post- Colonial Studies: Issues, Problems and Prospects in Postcolonialism”, during 29-30 November 2016. The following scholars presented papers:
- Dr. E V Ramakrishnan - “Beyond Postcolonial Constructs: Literature, Region, Modernity"
- Dr.Valerian Rodrigues- “Dalit Body as a Site of Ridicule and Assertion: Dalit Autobiographical Writings in Kannada, Marathi and Hindi.”
- Dr. Meena Pillai -“Saleable Lives: On Commodifying the Postcolonial.”
- Dr. ChandanGowda-“Revisiting the Ideal of Intellectual Swaraj."
- Dr. Paul Jenkins - "Abandoning the Easy Middle Air: The Trans regional Challenge to Historians of the Basel Mission and its Successor Churches."
- Dr. Chitra Pannikkar- “Post Colonial Discontents: In Theory and Practice.”
3. From October 24 to November 3, 2017, the Department organized a Global Initiative of Academic Network (GIAN) Programme titled “Affirmations of Female Strength in Selected Literary Works from Post-Colonial India, Africa (Nigeria) and Australia.”
The international resource person for the programme, Dr. Cynthia Vanden Driesen, a Senior Academician and Research Fellow, School of English, Faculty of Arts and Humanities, University of Western Australia, Crawley, delivered twenty lectures.
Ms. Meira Chand from Singapore had a Skype discussion with the participants on her most recent novel ,Sacred Waters
List of eminent scholars who visited the department during 2014-19:
- Prof. Vijay Tankha of St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi
- Prof. Udaya Narayana Singh of Vishwa-Bharati, Santiniketan
- Dr. Ralph Nazareth –Poet-scholar based in USA
- Dr. N. Sukumara Gowda, Ph.D (Toronto) Med (Queen’s), Director, Centre for studies in Education, Puttur
- Dr. Judith Becker-Senior Researcher at the Leibniz Institute of European History in Mainz, Germany.
- Prof. Valerian Rodrigues, Retired Professor, Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University.Visiting Professor at the University of Erfurt, and Fellow of Max Weber-Center.
- Dr. Vijay Seshadri, Professor of English and Coordinator Canadian Studies Centre,University of Mysore
- Ms. AbantiChakraborty, Internationally Renowned Theatre Artiste, Director, Aarshi Theatre Group, Kolkata and Director,Special Fellow, Yale School of Drama USA Visiting Faculty, National School of Drama,Resident Artiste, Academia del Arte, Italy
- Ian M Cook, Department of Sociology & Social Anthropology, Central European University and Visiting Scholar at the Indian Institute of Human Settlements