Chemistry Department Facilities
The Department has major equipment like Beckman DU-6 UV-VIS Spectrophotometer with kinetic attachment, Shimadzu FTIR-8700 Infrared spectrophotometer, a Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Sulphur (CHNS) analyzer and a Shimadzu-GCMS and a computer laboratory with 10 personal computers.
The department has 4 M.Sc Laboratories and 8 Research Laboratories..
Nature & type of research
The Department has active research groups in the areas of Environmental Chemistry, Chemical Dynamics, Structural Chemistry, electrochemistry, Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Polymer and Peptide Chemistry, Liquid Crystals, Drug Discovery Analytical, Co-ordination and organometallic chemistry. It had also MOU with NPC Kaiga etc., and extended several research projects with grants from funding agencies namely, UGC, BRNS and DST etc.
The thrust areas of research are:
- Analytical Chemistry- to develop new techniques and reagents
- Structural and Coordination Chemistry
- Physical Organic Chemistry – Reaction dynamics and mechanisms
- Synthetic and Heterocyclic Chemistry
- Bio-organic and Medicinal Chemistry
- Solvation Dynamics and Corrosion
- Environmental and Water Chemistry
- Polymer Chemistry
- Organometallic Chemistry
- Green Synthetic Techniques and Catalysis
- Liquid Crystals
- Drug Discovery
- Peptide Chemistry
Recognized Research Centres:
- Centre for Nano Science & Soft Matter Research (CNSMR), Bangalore
- Centre for Marine Fisheries Research Institute(CMFRI), Cochin
- St.Agnes Collge, Mangalore
- St.Aloysius College, Mangalore
- Advinus Therapeutics Ltd., Bangalore
- Alkem Laboratories, Bangalore
- Syngenta Biosciences Goa Ltd.
- Bal-Pharma, Bangalore
- Sequent Scientific Ltd, Mangalore
|Research papers Published
(in Journals of Impact factor 0.35 to 3.895)
|Citation index of One of the Articles||531|
|Contributions from the Dept helped in getting a grant of||Rs. 9 crores from DST-Purse|