Directorate of Physical Education
The department of Physical Education was established in our University in the year 1980 to cater the Physical Education and sports activities needs of our students. From the inception of this department, Dr. Belgami, Dr. K V Shenoy and Dr. H. Nagalingappa, have served this department as the Directors of Physical Education. Currently, we have five regular faculty members working in the department and all of them have established themselves in various sports activities and research programs recognized at the national and international level.
The Department conducts a number of inter-collegiate, inter-university programs, coaching camps, campus sports, BPEd and MPEd programs, Research etc., In all, we conduct 51 inter-collegiate sports programs every year. Out of which, 25 events are conducted for men and 26 events are conducted for women including rural women’s sports and Folk and traditional games. Cash prizes are given to the students who create new record in the Inter-Collegiate tournaments and thereby encourage the sports persons.
To promote the traditional and folk games within the Mangalore University jurisdiction, we organize inter-collegiate competitions especially for the rural women. We conduct sports for the differently abled students so as to instill confidence in them and also to persuade them to take up physical fitness activities.
During Inter-Collegiate competitions, players are selected for the inter-university competitions and they will be trained for 10 to 21 days under the able guidance of experts before sending the team to inter-university competitions. University representatives will get TA/ DA right from the first day of the camp till the end of inter-university competitions and department provides uniform & track suit to the players.
With an aim to inculcate sports culture among students right from the school level, recently we have started summer coaching camp in Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Kodagu districts for the school and college students.
Our Department has been inspiring, encouraging and guiding the sports persons in different way for their accomplishment in the field of sports.
Few to mention are:
- Scholarship of Rs.1500/- per month for the upcoming sports persons.
- Two to three lakh Rupees special scholarship will be given to the outstanding sports persons every year.
- Inter-University medalist will be honored every year; winners are rewarded with Rs.15 to 30 thousand cash prizes, a pair of shoes, blazer and trophies by the University.
- We give Financial Assistance to participate in inter-national events. In 2019-2020 we spent Rs.21 lakhs on 10 athletes to participate in the World University games held at Italy.
- Reserved one seat in each Post Graduation Department for University represented sports persons.
- Mangalore University is the first University to introduce Re-Examination to help the sports persons who would miss the examination because of their participation in University, national & international competitions.
- For the safety of our sports persons, we have introduced insurance policy to the injured sports persons during camp or competition.
At the same time, we have established various sports facilities to the requirement of our sports persons to reach their goal in the field of sports.
- Physiological data acquisition system, wireless EMG system, and Exercise Physiology systems are few of the best facilities available in our Department for the sports persons to enlighten themselves about their psychological and physiological conditions and to take up research activities.
- We have a 400 Mts. standard track, Football, Hockey, Cricket fields, Kho-Kho, Kabaddi, Basketball, Tennis, Handball and other play grounds to meet the needs of our University sports persons.
- We also have Indoor Sports Complex in par with the International Standard Fitness Centre.
- Air conditioned hall is also available to conduct conference/ workshop/ meetings and for Table Tennis, Wrestling, gymnastics and other sports activities.
- We have formulated a sports policy to our University. We are happy to mention that our university is the first University to have sports policy in Karnataka.
With planned programs and facilities available till date, we were able produce Olympians, World champions, Arjuna awardees, Ekalavya awardees, Karnataka Kreedarathna awardees so on. Currently, as per AIU Sports Board, Mangalore University stands in the 6th position in sports performance among more than 800 Universities in India and first position in South India. In the recently concluded Khelo India University games 2020, our University secured overall 5th position in India and First position in South India.
Sports have always been an integral part of Mangalore University program and an important aspect of the system such that we can proudly say that Our University has a rich sports heritage and has resulted in bringing glory to our University at the National as well as in the international level. Each program offered by the Department of Physical Education is carefully structured and we ensure that the sports programs of our University facilitate to promote India to a healthy and fit nation.