A Department offers M.Sc. and Ph.D programme in Statistics and also carries research work in Finance, Econometrics, Financial Time Series and Operations Research.
Introduction to the Department
- Department provides quality education in Statistics and also carries out on research in the area of Stochastic Finance, Inventory Theory, Operations Research,Linear and Nonlinear Models Econometrics, Nonparametric Regression, Financial Time Series Analysis
- Department offers PG Courses in Statistics and Ph.D in Statistics
About the Department
Department of Statistics was started in 1980, with an objective of providing quality education in the field of Statistics. This department is offering M.Sc, M.Phil and Ph.D programmes in Statistics. The current faculty strength of the department is 2 Professors, while the sanctioned faculty strength is 5. The faculty members have received prestigious fellowships, such as Commonwealth Fellowship and Post Doctoral fellowships to do research in U.K., Canada and Botswana.
The department has active research groups in the following areas: Econometrics, Time Series Analysis, Financial Time Series Analysis, Inventory Theory, Stochastic Finance, Non-parametric Regression, Linear and Non-linear models.
The department has received UGC grants under various schemes, for offering courses like Computer Application in Statistics and innovative schemes for offering innovative papers such as Statistical Techniques for Data Mining and Stochastic Finance. A well equipped computer laboratory serves the computational requirements of students, research scholars and faculty members. The curriculum is regularly updated following UGC guidelines and adequate training is provided to the students to enhance their statistical computation skills, data analysis and interpretation skills to suit for the needs of the society.
To evolve as a national center of advanced studies in statistics and cultivate quality human resource with strong theoretical & applied knowledge in the field of statistics.
- To promote quality teaching and research
- To provide extensive training in data analysis and reporting skill
- To impart practical training through industry/institutional involvement
- To provide necessary infrastructural facilities to the students
- To undertake consultancy of social and industrial problem
- To strengthen alumni association for promoting academic standards
Dr. Ismail B
Professor & Chairman
Department of PG Studies and Research in Statistics
Mangalore University, Mangalagangothri