A Department offers M.Sc. and Ph.D programme in Statistics and also carries research work in Finance, Econometrics, Financial Time Series and Operations Research.
Introduction to the Department
- Department provides quality education in Statistics and also carries out on research in the area of Econometrics, Nonparametric Regression, Financial Time Series Analysis , Partial Linear models, Structural Equation Modeling, Inventory Theory, Operations Research.
- Department offers PG Courses in Statistics and Ph.D in Statistics
About the Department
Department of Statistics was started in 1980, with an objective of providing quality education in the field of Statistics. This department is offering M.Sc, M.Phil and Ph.D programmes in Statistics. The faculty strength of the department is 5. ( 1 Professor + one Associate Professor + 3 Assistant Professor ) and currently one Professor and Five Guest Faculties working in the department. The faculty members have received prestigious fellowships, such as Commonwealth Fellowship and Post Doctoral fellowships to do research in U.K., Canada and Botswana.
The department has active research groups in the following areas: Econometrics, Non-parametric regression, Partial Linear Model, Financial Time Series Analysis, Linear and Non-linear models and Inventory Theory.
The department has received UGC grants under various schemes, for offering courses like Computer Application in Statistics and innovative schemes for offering innovative papers such as Statistical Techniques for Data Mining and Stochastic Finance. A well equipped computer laboratory serves the computational requirements of students, research scholars and faculty members. The curriculum is regularly updated following UGC guidelines and adequate training is provided to the students to enhance their statistical computation skills, data analysis and interpretation skills to suit for the needs of the society.
To evolve as a national center of advanced studies in statistics and cultivate quality human resource with strong theoretical & applied knowledge in the field of statistics.
- To promote quality teaching and research
- To provide extensive training in data analysis and reporting skill
- To impart practical training through industry/institutional involvement
- To provide necessary infrastructural facilities to the students
- To undertake consultancy of social and industrial problem
- To strengthen alumni association for promoting academic standards
Dr. Ismail B
Professor & Chairman
Department of PG Studies and Research in Statistics
Mangalore University, Mangalagangothri